Thursday, August 11, 2011

Snack # 184 - Rocky Mountain Popcorn Company Red Chili Popcorn



When I first opened the bag I was met with an indescribable smell.  Now, I like to think I have a pretty good palate/sense of smell, but every time I took a sniff it smelled like something different - plastic, chocolate, a nondescript poison-y "spice" smell. And unfortunately, the taste mirrored the smell. There was a horrible fake flavor that pervaded the otherwise nicely-popped popcorn. Maybe it was the "cheese blend" that was inexplicably added to this chili and lime flavored popcorn. I honestly have no idea. I just know that these tasted gross. The overwhelming artificiality of the flavor is especially disappointing given that the bag advertises that it's "not smothered with pretentious artificial flavoring" .... just lightly sprinkled with natural poison flavors. As far as the heat goes - since I know that's what you come here to read about - it hit pretty immediately on the back of the throat, but then was gone almost as quickly.

Bottom Line: if this is what natural tastes like, I'll risk the chemicals thankyouverymuch.

Rating on the Spice-O-Meter: 2.5/10

No comments: