Saturday, March 26, 2011

Snack #151 - Archer Farms General Tso Potato Chips




For those of you who don't know, Archer Farms is the Target in-house brand. I was amazed by their spicy snack section, so be on the lookout for more Archer Farms reviews to come. I HAD to start with the General Tso's flavor though. It's one of my favorite guilty pleasure Chinese dishes - fried, sweet, spicy goodness - and I was hoping the chip would be the same. Unfortunately these nice, crinkle cut chips tasted overwhelmingly of soy sauce - not sweet, not spicy, just soy sauce. And if I really concentrated hard, maybe a little black pepper. There were none of the ginger, garlic, or Asian-inspired flavors that the back of the bag promised. Weirdly however, after I finished eating and writing my notes on the chips, I felt like I had eaten General Tso's chicken. Somehow while the chips themselves tasted nothing like what they promised the aftertaste was spot-on.

Rating on the Spice-O-Meter: 0/10
Bottom Line: just get the real thing

No comments: