Sunday, June 13, 2010

Snack #121- Ike & Sam’s Kickin’ Cayenne Kettlecorn



Ike & Sam’s Kickin’ Cayenne Kettlecorn
I was curious to see how the typical sweetness of kettle corn would work with the spice of cayenne. I’m still not sure how I feel about it, mostly because the cayenne was severely lacking in this snack. They definitely tasted like sugar-coated popcorn but the pepper flavor is very subtle. I can see specks of red pepper on the outside of the popcorn but somehow it doesn’t translate; maybe the sweetness of the kettle corn overpowers the spice but I think the recipe could probably kick the heat up a notch without losing that traditional kettle corn taste. I think the spice is fairly unevenly coating the corn as well because some kernels are very sweet and others are more peppery. I also got a few extra browned pieces of corn that added an unpleasant burny taste to the mix. I think the main downfall of this snack is its inconsistency. But if you’re looking for a classic kettle corn snack with a hint of cayenne, these are not a bad option. The sweet flavors make a tasty, albeit definitely not spicy, popped corn snack.

Rating on the Spice-O-Meter: 1/10
Bottom Line: Sweet kettle corn with light dusting of cayenne.

No comments: